2011-10-06

Bear Grylls Gerber survival gear

A FYI post about the (for me) new "survival-gear" from Gerber, that is supported by the infamous Bear Grylls. Known for his many documentaries about survival in extreme situations and climate.
I actually found this in a new sporting-goods shop. From a distance looking a bit sheap, but after looking a little closer - seemed to be of pretty good quality.

My previous experience with Gerber - most known for their knives - has been very good. Y? Well, I used a knife during my military training that kept its sharpness during way too much play and abuse. And later came to use their multitool as well. I must however admit that I have converted to leatherman atm when it comes to multitool. But that was just a personal opinion - the quality of the gerber was never questioned and still has some advantages.

Anyway - the Bear Grylls gerber survival series seems to be the wet dream of the beginning survivalist. Not only sturdy tools in forms of knives with fire-starter, multi-tools and parangs. In addittion - they have actually compiled the "ultimate emergency kit" that includes many of the things that a survivalist or prepper normally buy separately and put together in their own bag. In addition, it comes with a small folded instruction on what to think of in an emergency.
Due to my "fun budget" is getting a little strained this month (already bought too many things) and I have most of the tools in my own kits - I did not buy any of the products. But I will consider it in the future.

Y buy? - Because that Gerber is normally good quality and the emergency kits are a bargain for the new prepper - or as a gift to someone that does not consider themselves a prepper - but would find it cool to have a kit like this. In any, it is a good start to add to or exchange with the items you want yourself. The BG multi-tool seems to have solved the (for me) previous shortcomings as well (long story - maybe a base for another post).

Y not? - Because some of the content might be substandard quality and fail the test. And many experienced preppers might already have these tools in their kit already.

I really hope to get my hands on the "ultimate kit" - at least to have a look at. And maybe invest in the parang one day - because it gave a really sturdy impression.

Until then I look forward to read about YOU guys first hand experience.

Bear grylls - Gerber survivial series (UK)

Bear grylls - the products


In addition - there is actually a "Bear essentials" app for the iPhone user to download with tips on how to act and survive during an emergency... as far as the batteries will let you!


Cheers,
/Roquen

6 comments:

  1. I own "Compact Scout GB" from Gerber and it is my secondary backup EDC knife. Very light and maybe not so sturdy but if just used for what it is it will last long. Quality is OK and same for price, compared to my Fällkniven pocket knife in 3G.
    http://www.gerbersverige.com/index.php/product/id/606

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a gerber fan. And a secret Bear Grylls fan :-) He is one crazy bastard!
    A good combo then to have the Bear Grylls Survival Series Scout, Drop Point Knife. I am very pleased with it, I always carry it with me and it haven't disappointed me yet. All the Gerber knives I've had has always been sharp and good quality so there were no question about buying that one. Have the little BG Gerber knife on my keychain too just in case. Also very sharp but it feels a bit cheap (and it was too), very plastic.


    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000754-Grylls-Survival-Serrated/dp/B004DSX3M2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317926944&sr=8-5


    I would like to have the Ultimate Survival Knife too but it's to expensive here, I haven't seen it for under 650 SEK. On ebay or amazon you could get it for $45, a lot better. Need a bigger prepping-budget to buy it though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bear Grylls - crazy alright. Drinking his own urine and snacking from cadavers. I'd say a bit too extreme to really count as recommended survival-tips, but fun to watch, oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very pleased to find this site. I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit of it .The blog is really great.Thanks...........
    regards,
    Rothco

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of the Bear Grylls Knife Range. I have the Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife and use it for whittling sticks as well as all manner of little things around camp, I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very pleased to find this site. I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit of it and I have it bookmarked to check out new stuff posted regularlyRothco Bags

    ReplyDelete